The cadet speak off will be held in two phases. This is a wonderful opportunity for cadets to participate.
Phase One: Local Speak Off
Oct 31st: Deadline to Sign Up
November 1st: Local Competition
We will hold our own at Marconi and send TWO cadets. Either one Senior (16-18yrs) and one Junior (12-15yrs) or two Junior.
Phase Two: Provincial Competition
November 19th: Paddon Building/HMCS Cabot
Cadets are to write a speech that is 3-4 minutes (Junior Category) or 4-5 minutes (Senior Category) *Note: times are firm.. must be between the indicated minutes.
The following are the topics they MUST chose from:
1) Do you agree with how the NL Government is handling the provincial deficit? Is there a better way?
2) Breed banning: Are there bad dog breeds or bad dog owners?
3) A critical evaluation of superheroes: Batman, Spiderman or Superman.
4) Should physical education be mandatory for students in all grades?
5) Should college athletes be paid to play?
6) Should the government place an additional tax on junk food?
7) Is standardized testing effective? Is it a good measure of student or school performance?
8) You are the Boss/General: What would you change about the cadet program?
Note: The focus of the cadet’s speech may be broad and may include fictional, historical, symbolic or humorous features.
Also, interested cadets will be shown a rubric for the judging.
Any questions: Contact Lt(N) MacPhee firstname.lastname@example.org